20110325

Bok choy stir fry



Last night, my wife made stir fry with some bok choy from the garden and an onion.  I had two types of bok choy out there, one that was very leafy and looked similar to the mustard greens.  This was the other one, more of a heading variety.  I have read that brassicas will cross-pollinate readily, so I pulled all of this variety up when it started to flower.  Since the other type and the mustard are so similar, I'm not worried about their genetics getting mixed up.

We took some to our meeting on Sunday, but ended up having more than we needed and had enough to cook again last night.  Since I had let it start to flower, there was a lot of textural variety from a single ingredient.  We had taken mostly the leaves with us on Sunday, since that's what people are used to eating.  Last night we ate what was left of the entire plants: leaves, stalk, flowers and unopened buds.  It was all great!  The buds especially were very similar to broccoli, but maybe even better.  Above, you can see it chopped up and in the pan with the onion and then the second picture is after cooking (and seasoning!).

No comments:

Post a Comment