20110303

Aero Garden





During the winter, I had to satisfy my desire to garden with the indoor Aero Garden.  In the past, I've grown various herbs in it, with varying success.  With a variety of herbs, the taller ones would shade the smaller ones and starve them of light.  Also, you don't use every herb an equal amount.  This is the first time I've tried vegetables and I'm probably not going to do it again.  The main two problems are size and pollination.  In the picture above, the light is at maximum extension and there's not a lot of room left for growth.  The tomatoes are spreading off of the garden base, but the pepper in the middle threatens to reach the light.  The main problem is that there are no bees or wind to pollinate this garden indoors.  I've tried to compensate by shaking it and blowing on it, but it's just not the same thing.  The tomato on the right has a lot of fruit (and one that's almost ripe), but the one on the left has only 3 fruits.  The pepper plant has flowered repeatedly, so far without producing fruit.  After these plants are done, I'm probably going to try some salad greens.  The idea of picking a fresh salad without leaving the kitchen really appeals to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment