20110523

Weekend project








Over the weekend, I got around to a project I'd been needing to do for a while.  I had hoped to compost all of my yard waste, but the larger branches just weren't breaking down.  Maybe if I had a wood chipper it could've worked.  Anyway, instead of a compost pile, I had more of a brush pile.  It's not just the ones you can see.  There are layers of branches underneath layers of leaves and sod. 

On Saturday, I just moved the problem.  I pulled all of the branches out and made a large brush pile in my yard.  There was actually some great compost underneath some of the branches.  Anything small enough was left to be part of the compost pile.  On Sunday, I bundled up all of the wood and put it out at the curb.  Supposedly, someone will be by to pick it up.  I guess living in the city isn't all bad.  Of course, if we were out in the country, I could've had a great bonfire!

It was important to get this pile taken care of so that I can continue to compost leaves and green growth from my yard.  There are a couple of areas of bushes that seriously need trimming and now I am free to attack them.  Instead of composting all of the leaves, though, I am going to use some to mulch around existing plantings to keep the soil from drying out.

No comments:

Post a Comment