20110521

An unexpected morning





I had an unexpected bit of work before breakfast (and coffee!) this morning.  While I was adjusting the straps that hold the plastic cover on my small greenhouse, the wind caught it and tipped it.  Fortunately, I was right there and was able to keep it from falling over, but most of my seedlings fell off and partially (many, completely) out of their cups.  I was able to find and re-pot all of them that were viable (I had already lost a marigold, a jalapeno and four chias from drying out this week, and I discovered that my basil clone was not making roots at all).  Now, I have to wait and see how many survive this significant root trauma.

Since they all got mixed up, there is a little pepper confusion.  I know that the four largest are jalapeno and that all of the ones with red stems are cayenne.  That leaves three small seedlings with green stems.  One of them is a jalapeno and the other two are cayenne.  The marigolds are so small, with tiny root systems.  I think they're the least likely to pull through.  One of them looked broken as well.

I plan to move the greenhouse against the fence, where it will have support on one side.  I will also weigh down the base and lash the shelves and their supports to each other.  I wasn't planning on doing that today, but I suppose I can just add it to my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment