20130326

Planting in the Rain

This weekend was a bit of an experiment for me. I had some spare time and I really wanted to get some seeds in the ground. Unfortunately, it was raining. In the past I've had some success with transplanting seedlings out in a light rain. Cloud cover helps reduce the shock to the plant and, if the soil has been well-worked ahead of time, this can work well. Seeds appear to be a different story. For starters, the soil wasn't worked as well as I would like. Since our soil has a lot of clay, it was clumping and this made appropriate planting depth difficult to impossible. A more serious problem, though, was the handling of the seeds themselves. They were getting wet as I tried to spread them and they were sticking to each other and to my fingers. Moisture also got into my seed envelopes and I had to air them out or a while afterwards. Well, at least I learned something!

The ground is still too wet to work. Maybe by tomorrow or the next day I'll be able to get the rest of the bed planted. Hopefully, my new hori hori knives will arrive in the mean time!

No comments:

Post a Comment