20110428

"Cottage" garden (mostly) planted





After a week and a half of hard work, tearing up grass and breaking roots and clay, I finally got some seeds in the ground in our side yard yesterday.  In the middle two beds, I planted calendula, poppy, cosmos, nigella, larkspur and bachelor's buttons.  In the first of them, I alternated the seeds in the approximate spacing they should be in after thinning.  In the second one, I scattered the remaining seeds and then stirred the dirt.  I'm interested to see which way works the best. 

I'm planning on planting hollyhock along the road (on the near side of the path as well).  Since it's biennial and probably won't bloom much this year anyway I'm putting that off until after I get my okra and squash going in the other garden.  I haven't planted anything in the bed closest to the house, either.  I'm thinking about cilantro, dill, parsley, chamomile and marigold.  I'm also going to be putting tomatoes out into any empty spaces later in the year.  Along both sides of the path I'm planning on the chia sage and cayenne pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment