20110219

Breaking ground






This week, the weather was beautiful and my parents were in town to baby-sit, so I got out in the garden for the first time this year.  I gave the area I gardened last year a good once-over, turning the soil and doing some weeding.  I also started to break up some of the adjacent ground, since I'm planning on expanding this year.  The picture above is part of my new expanded garden.  This is where I've planted peas.  I've never tried peas before and I don't think I bought enough.  I  planted all 91 seeds separately, but that probably won't even satisfy my baby, much less his parents.

Yesterday, I also got to work inside my established garden.  I planted the first wave of carrots, lambsquarters, arugula and beetberry.  Some parsley seems to have barely survived the winter, with only about an inch of growth above ground.  The ones I pulled up had extensive root systems, though, so I've left some in the ground, hoping that they will recover and do well this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment